Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Philly Steak and Cheese!

Hi! You will all be happy to hear that I made it safe and sound to Philadelphia last night! Though it took two plane cancelations, an unexpected layover in Chicago and arriving to the hotel about four hours later than planned, I am here. Although this sounds bad, it wasn't because of the new friends I made. While the Peace Corps travel agent found me a new flight out of Seattle (after the first cancelation) he told me about the two other PC girls he had just helped and put me on the same plane, giving me their names and phone numbers. I ended up finding both of them together while we were still with our families, we took tons of pictures and became fast friends. Two hours and another cancelation later we finally figured out that we were not even in the same program, they were going to Turkmenistan- I am going to Azerbaijan. No wonder our talks about the country we were all going to kept falling short! Unfortunately they just informed me that their program can no longer go to Turkmenistan and they all are being sent home; I feel very bad for them.

My day has been full of sitting in a little room with 62 other people having what the PC calls staging. From basically noon till now we have been talking about everything you can think of under the sun to keep us safe and sound while in the AZB (so don't worry you guys, OK). The other people in my group are so far fantastic; quite a few of them seem to be my age which is fab-u-lous! :) You know how I know this... We are going out tonight! Last night in the states, you have to right!?

Step one: making it to Philadelphia-COMPLETE
Step two: Here I come Azerbaijan!