Friday, March 5, 2010

Gettin' Down To Business

Things in Azerbaijan just seem to be getting progressively better! The sun is out, the snow is melted (tricked ya with this picture, I know. Its old) and I am a busy bee here in Qazax. (This picture is from Valentine's weekend. Amanda and I went to visit Lexi in Berde. We made Chinese and Mexican. I know, I know, I'm becoming quite the cook!)

Yesterday I went to one of my teacher counterparts after school for lunch, She taught me how to make Georgian Xangal. Her daughter and I were filling the dough with meat while she was rolling the dough out flat for us. I even got her son to help us. Or I forced him to help, but either way, I think he had fun in the end.
I've gotten two after school conversation clubs going. One for 5th graders (there are so many of them! And they are CRAZY) on Tuesdays and one for anyone older on Wednesdays. This week I taught them how to say "what's up?" instead of "How are you?" and then obviously the proper responses. Mostly we just play a lot of games. I feel really good after ever club, like I'm finally sort of doing what I need to be here. Also this week I went and met the English teacher at the refugee school ( After regular school hours my school becomes a school for refugee children). I'm going to observe some of her classes next week and start going once a week to play games and do other activities with those kids. Also, this weekend we are starting up a softball league in Tovuz for us and our kids. (It sounds really cool, like I came up with the idea on my own huh?! But alas, I did not, there are softball leagues all over Azerbaijan run by PCV's. Sometimes they play each other.) I am really excited for this because my counterpart (in the pic) told me I could take both of her kids down to Tovuz on Saturdays to play! This is sort of unusual because parents here get nervous letting their kids go places outside of their own towns, but she trusts me. And one of the points of this softball league is to get kids from other regions involved with each other. ALSO, I met a 22 year old girl here who speaks great English. Her and her friends want to start meeting with me! This is what I've been waiting for here! A group of young girls who I can get to know and try to pass on any sort of wisdom I may (but probably don't) have. You know what I mean, its just super exciting! So, as you can see, all of a sudden, work has really picked up for me, I feel really involved in my community and I am happy :) Now if I could only get an Azeri tutor and a house to move into!


Oh yeah, mom and dad, my host mom says thank you for the honey! (Can you send more cause I think I've eaten more then her. Its so good!)